Interested in updating that old sink to something more spacious, classic, and functional? Try the impressive and time-tested farm style sink. This sink provides many benefits for the average homeowner. With classic beauty in conjunction with modern enhancements its no wonder this classic farmhouse sink never seems to be out of style.
What are some benefits
The original farmhouse sink was heavy and difficult to install. Typical installation usually requires that the counter tops be changed or modified. Yet with newly redesigned models its easy to complete the installation and fits with most existing counter tops.
Farmhouse sinks are durable. When thinking about adding a farm style sink sometimes people can be put off by the color and material. Fret no more, with a crisp white finish the farmhouse sink will be sure to catch people’s attention. Most brands available provide guarantees that these sinks do not stain, chip, or crack.
- From a single basin to double basin sinks these provide style that will compliment any décor. The farmhouse sink is also traditionally much deeper than other types of sinks. This design was inherent to its heritage. The farmhouse sink originated in areas with no running water. So, it was advantageous to be able to store large amounts of water which could be fetched from nearby wells or other water sources. There are many different styles that one can choose from when deciding to add a farmhouse style sink to their kitchen. Yet no matter what style is right for you there is no escaping the rich rustic character that will be evident within your kitchen.
- Traditionally built from enameled cast iron the farmhouse sink is resistant to staining, cracking, or burning. Modern farmhouse sinks do not necessarily rely on traditional martial. These days its easy to discover stainless steel, copper, fireclay, or even stone sinks. Conventionally installed below the countertop, this overhang provides additional versatility, drainage. This design makes it easy to wipe liquids from countertops directly into the sink.
Advantages over other sinks
- Just like other parts of the house the advantages of the sink really come down to how you plan to use it. Besides the depth, a single basin sink can provide the space to stack all the dishes, baking trays, and wash larger pots easier. A double basin sink can provide the ability to separate clean and dirty dishes. With the options to split the sink 50/50, 60/40, or 70/30 this feature brings tremendous benefits to the multi-tasker.
- Finally, this sink offers an accessories ledge. This ledge which runs around the sink allows for the placement of a cutting board. So, one can cut above the sink making cleanup a breeze while also preventing the counters from becoming cluttered.
- Typical farmhouse sinks do not have a hole for the faucet since its initial design did not account for running water. So, ensure your plan will include where the tap will go. Many homeowners choose to position the faucet within the counter behind the sink or within the wall behind the sink.
- Depending on the size and materials you may need to seek professionals. Located in Gaithersburg, MD and Chantilly, VA DMV Kitchen and Bath has been serving the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area for many years.
The farmhouse sinks functional design, style and appeal provides a timeless element to any kitchen. If you are looking for a charming, roomy, and elegant feel then you should think about adding a farmhouse sink to your kitchen.
There are many styles and designs to choose from and for many people this can become overwhelming. So let the professionals at DMV Kitchen & Bath assist you with making a decision that you will enjoy for years to come.