The types, Applications and Features of Polymer Modified Mortar
The polymer modified mortar is made by mixing water with Portland cement, polymeric admixture and sand. The outcome of this mixture or the PM mortar ultimately has many advantages as well as cost-effective or comparatively less in cost. Various polymers like latex polymer, a water-soluble polymer and re-dispersible dry polymers are commonly used in the production of polymer-modified mortars. The polymer modified mortars require less water in comparison to other traditional mortars. Get the best quality and durable polymer modified mortars from Deco Polymer for your interior and exterior constructions.
Types of Polymers:
There are basically three types of polymers used to make polymer modified mortars. They are (1) latex polymer, (2) ethylene vinyl acetate type re-dispersible dry polymers, and (3) Polyvinyl type water-soluble polymers.
Popular applications of polymer modified mortars:
- Polymer modified mortar are popularly and extensively used in flooring and grouting walls. Less water and salt component of polymer modified mortar makes it useful and ideal for weathering. The thinner polymer modified mortar adheres tiles to the concrete cement board.
- Polymer modified mortars is also popularly and widely used for repair and improvement purposes. It has the qualities of minimum shrinkage and adhering to the surface strongly. Polymer modified mortars are used to repairs the cracks and concrete structure delamination.
- The polymer-modified mortars are water resistant and effectively used for new construction as well as repairing of basements, water tanks, septic tanks, roof decks, ship decks etc. Besides this, polymer modified mortars are also effective in concrete walls for the resistance of water and chemicals, particularly the Petro-chemicals.
- The polymer modified mortars are extensively used in flooring and pavements especially of commercial flooring overlays, factories, warehouses, garages, stairways, hospitals etc.
Features of polymer modified mortars:
- Polymer-modified mortars are known for its flexural and tensile strength, water and chemical resistance. This material does not allow cracks and improves the toughness.
- Polymer modified mortars are considered better in a hot climate. They make the mortar fluid and extend the hydration periods. Thus, polymer modified mortars have more workability than traditional mortars.
- The polymer-modified mortals are adhesive in nature irrespective of different surfaces like concrete, bricks, polystyrene, wood, foam, metal and glasses.
- The polymer modified mortars have cement curing capabilities provided it get adequate water in the early stages of curing.
Polymer modified mortars are considered enormously useful through its various application and unbeatable features. This is the reason polymer modified mortars are becoming extremely popular day by day.