Signs You Should Test Your Home for Dangerous Mold

The presence of mold isn’t always seen visually, which makes it hard for homeowners to find. But it is very important that you act as soon as possible to prevent dangerous health issues as well as structural damages to your home.

In this article, we list the most common signs that may indicate the growth of dangerous mold inside your home as well as help you decide on when you should call a pro for mold testing and removal, as deemed necessary.

Musty, Moldy Odor

If you constantly smell a musty odor then mold is likely to be present inside your home. This is more often the first sign of growing mold somewhere in your house. Being unable to see mold doesn’t mean you don’t have a mold problem to deal with. As soon as you notice a musty, moldy odor lingering in your home, conduct a thorough house inspection before it turns into a more serious problem that could potentially cause you a substantial amount of money for repairs or replacement plus you are also risking you and your family’s health.

Allergy

Been experiencing a allergy flare up whenever you’re at home? Mold is known to be a common allergen that can exacerbate chronic problems. So if you’re experiencing any signs of allergy such as runny nose, inflamed eyes, nasal congestion, and sneezing, then there’s a strong possibility that there’s hidden mold somewhere in your home.

Visual Indicators

Though mold isn’t always visually seen, there are cases that you can actually see it. Below are some of the visual indicators of mold inside your home.

  • Greenish black areas
  • Slimy textures
  • Mildew
  • Black spots that may look like ordinary dirt or soot

There are also some cases that mold looks unusual and may appear like whitish and thread-like which isn’t common. It can also appear in various colors including black, white, gray-green, or grayish-brown. Mold that grows at the back of vinyl wallpapers may look pinkish-purple or even orange.

Water Issues

If you ever had any moisture, condensation, or any water problems inside your home, then you can most probably be certain that you will also be dealing with mold. And so it is important that you get a professional mold inspector to make sure your home is safe. Below are strong indicators of the presence of mold in your home that has been brought about by past water issues in your home:

  • Discolored walls, ceilings, or floors
  • Water Stains
  • Bubbling, cracking or peeling of wallpaper or paint

Flood

If your area or your house has been flooded, there is a very high chance that mold has started to take root and grow especially in the area where water has stayed the longest like your basement, underneath the flooring, or behind your walls.

If you notice or experience any of the above signs, we strongly suggest you get your home inspected for mold. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.